Thursday, October 9, 2008

change of direction

wow. it's been a long time since i've last updated!

lots of news to share with you:

(1) my housemates and i moved out of the house from asm to the dorms in the new hands' village across the road. it's a lot less cozy because of the walls of separation (literally), but we're interacting with more people from the organization. :)

(1) i've finally been assigned to my project location. much, much, MUCH to my surprise, i'll be going to... (dun dun dunnnn)

MOZAMBIQUE!!

i was almost certain that i would be going to zambia for the rest of the year, so this news really knocked the wind out of me. the other footprinters and i met with george and carly two days ago, and they told us that we would actually be split up into pairs. the other pair, as planned, will be leaving for zambia... next week! my partner (jessie) and i will be leaving for mozambique in early january, actually; the training period has been extended to the end of november/beginning of december, winter break will be held for two to three weeks, and i'll be preparing to leave in january.

i was in total shock when i first heard the news because this implies many things. first, our group of four will be split up into two. the dynamics of our relationships will completely change, and we would have to adjust to working with only one other person for the rest of the year. second, mozambique is markedly different from zambia, not only in terms of country history and lifestyle, but the projects themselves. whereas the volunteers going into zambia will be the very first footprints intake into that region, my partner and i will be the fourth or fifth intake of volunteers into mozambique. there will already be a set system of doing things, and we would probably be assigned to ongoing projects. third, i'll be having to learn portuguese! i'm looking forward to this; learning another language is always fun. fourth, my partner and i will be spending more time in south africa. and finally, well, ya know, it's mozambique!

at the beginning of training, after hearing that going to mozambique would probably not be a possibility for this year of intakes, i soaked in that fact, laid down my own desires, changed my perspective, and was getting pumped up for zambia. it feels like i'm being halted on that train, being pulled back to the starting point, and getting ready to ride in another train. i'm in a state of mixed emotions. overwhelmed? yes. excited? yes. nervous? yes. sad? yes. (we're splitting up!)

after the meeting, all i could say was,

wow, God.

WOW.

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.
- Proverbs 27:1

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

unexpected but great turn if events. still praying for you sista

Anonymous said...

I can't help but feel excited for you, Hannah. You're going to love MOz and especially Carlos and Pashqua. Hopefully, you'll still be there when the next Wellspring team comes out, Hannah.

Hamster said...

Wow! That's awesome, Hannah! I can't believe it. This is the 2nd piece of news today that totally floored me, and reminded me of the incredible kindness and mercies of God!

Our God alone is to be exalted! And I definitely did that when I saw your surrender to His ways back in September even with the adjustments you had to make.

And I echo Sam's comment, I do pray, Lord-willing, you'll be there when the next team from Wellspring comes out.

Unknown said...

bon dia!

great to hear the news of your placement!

Moz rocks!

God rocks!

Stella said...

YAY Hannah!!!! I'm so happy for you! You're so lucky to be serving with Carlos, Pascua, Dara and Laura!!! I hope and pray that our Lord is keeping you uplifted and be strong my sista. We're all praying for you.

Leon C. said...

It is so awesome that you end with scripture in your post. As I was reading your latest post, I am listening to music on the book of Psalm, that God is a "Mighty Savior" and "He will arise", "A Father to the Fatherless, a defender of widows..."(Psalm 68). I am praying that He will use you and your teammate in Mozambique, for I heard and seen pictures that there is such a great need there. I've have heard that there are so many orphans and truely God is the only hope there. Thank you, keep strong, and keep posting!